Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Just a few laughs

There’s been a lot in the news lately about torture. I even wrote a blog post about it last week and then deleted the whole thing when I realized, “Hey, this is a bike blog!” But if you’re following the issue, check out what John McCain wrote for Newsweek. He says everything I wanted to, but with eloquence and authority. He spent five years being kicked around as a prisoner of war in Hanoi. The worst torture I ever endured was a couple of nasty hangovers.

OK, so maybe it was three.

Enough of that serious stuff. Let’s get on to the funny crap. We’ll use Political Science as a segue. And that reminds me; if you don’t know Randy Newman’s music, do yourself a favor and get familiar with it. Just don't call him "the guy who did that song in 'Toy Story.'"

Last week in my office someone referred to Iko Iko as “that song by the Dixie Chicks." If I had any hair left, I would have pulled it out. That song was written about 1950 and was being played by greats like Dr. John and Jerry Garcia before the Dixie Chicks were born.

I’ve linked to Overheard in New York before but what the hell, let’s do it again. It has become one of my favorite sites to read each day. It not only cracks me up, it makes me even happier about living in Alaska. Maybe it's because the bums' lips are frozen shut, but we just don’t overhear this kind of stuff:

Hobo: You got some nice skin.
Girl: Thanks.
Hobo: So you must masturbate yourself like all the time then, huh?

Which reminds me: That woman sitting next to you during your morning commute who really seemed to be enjoying the tunes in her iPod? It might not have been the music that got her groove on. Maybe you should read that link at home. Where you can crank up the music.

Here’s a tale of dedication and true friendship, and a little moral lesson for the day.

My work here is done. Thanks for dropping by.

No comments: