Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Don't be fooled

Johnson Pass Trail, 3-5-11

The skinnies are coming out, but I'm not buying into it.

When I pulled into the trailhead parking lot tonight, Leonard and I were armed with fat bikes. A guy I know was there with his SS mountain bike. Then his riding partners pedaled up on their studded rides. They said they've been loving the hard trails lately.

People all over town are loving the warm, sunny weather we've had for the past few days, but I keep scanning the weather forecast, hoping for three or four inches of snow to freshen things up. I'm in no hurry to switch bikes. I've got a new fat bike that I'm lovin', and I don't like getting suckered.

Sure, we're light on snow this year. The spring thaw could be quick. But it's March 9 in a place where I don't move my snowblower to the shed until May 1. April will be warm, muddy and ugly, as it always is. March, however, is dangerous. It wasn't too many years ago that I was clearing three feet of new snow off my driveway on St. Patrick's Day.

This is a false spring. Don't fall for it. Mark my words, March will roar back and kick us in the ass.

It's still winter, and I'm gonna keep riding like it as long as I can.

3 comments:

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

Thanks for the comment--I think us lower 48 bikers get weak and spoiled with all the snow free roads. Snow came the other day and we went from lots of bicycles to nearly none. Thanks for the perspective. Better get my fat tires out again!

corinne said...

Hear hear! We need another good dump or two of snow. I don't have a snowbike (yet) but I wouldn't mind some powder for good old-fashioned classical skiing.