Monday, September 05, 2005

Long, slow weekend

It has been raining for days and my wife's been working, so I've spent the entire weekend fiddling around with chores, watching the kids, etc., instead of riding. I can feel my gut expanding already. Some time-killing web surfing has turned up a couple of things worth sharing, however. One of these days I have to get myself and a bike to Portland. I have some friends I'd love to visit and the city is doing some really cool things with urban biking, such as experimenting with the idea of combining Google's earth-mapping technology to help readers find safe routes. I wish Anchorage, and many other cities, had more organizations like BikePortland.org. Those folks even have some pictures to peruse over at Flikr.

And speaking of sharing some cool photos, Pat Irwin and Kathy Sarns now have the full story of their unprecedented Hope-to-Homer coastal ride online. Definitely worth checking out. As further evidence of my chronic boredom, I came across an amusing joke this weekend:

Moishe is driving in Jerusalem. He's late for a meeting, he's looking for a parking place, and can't find one. In desperation, he turns toward heaven and says: "God, if you find me a parking space, I promise that I'll eat only kosher, respect Shabbas, and all the holidays." Miraculously, a place opens up just in front of him. He turns his face up to heaven and says: "Never mind, I just found one."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey TW, thanks for the link. I actually just found out about your blog from Big Jonny. Small world.

And by the way, your blog looks great.