Sunday, January 17, 2010

Frosty

I’m a morning person.

As long as morning doesn’t start before 9 a.m., and nobody talks to me for the first hour after I wake up. Otherwise, I feel like setting fire to the world.

So I just couldn’t make myself face early wake-ups this weekend. Early this winter, I had every intention of doing this year’s Frosty Bottom race, which was held on Saturday. But that would have involved getting up by 7 a.m.

I considered joining friends for a ride on the Herning Trail outside the town of Houston this morning. But that would have meant getting up about 6 a.m. When I was sipping a cold beer about 10:30 last night, I knew that wasn’t going to happen.

Instead, I slept in a bit, then headed out to do my own version of the Frosty. My friend Kathy called when I was driving to the ride, and said she’d join me with her husky, Denali. We rode about 32 miles under sunny skies and perfect temps in the neighborhood of 20 degrees.

My legs felt strong all day. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt better while spending nearly four hours on a fat bike. But if I started feeling all bad-assy, all I had to do was look at Denali, who ran 32 miles, and loved it.

7 comments:

jon boy said...

But the best part of the equation is you have in your pocket $45 dollars to buy more beer! Good to see one dog out on the trails leashed up. Thanks Kathy!

Unknown said...

Maybe I missed it, but can you tell us about that bike and those tires? Looks like great winter gear.

Thanks,
-pd

Tim said...

Peter, follow the links on my blog to Speedway Cycles and Chain Reaction Cycles to get more information on Fatbacks and 9:ZERO:7 fat bikes.

You should also go to Surly's site for info on the Pugsley and Endomorph (and Larry) tires.

Unknown said...

Excellent!! Thanks!

(No need to approve this. I just wanted to say thanks.)

-pd

Debbie said...

I saw Kathy out there too! Almost fell over when I saw a leashed dog. Yay Kathy! Did the dog make it all 32 miles??? God, my dogs are as out of shape as I am.

The Grungs said...

when are you going to bring your butt down to oregon to do the cycle oregon week? ok, not that i will do it with you. (i seem to fall off bikes. seriously. ALL the time). but i will take you for several beers afterwards.

Tim said...

That's on my wish list, Helen. I'll show up down there, eventually. I might boycott Portland for a while, though: Sue told me she'd be coming back to Anchorage once or twice a year, and I haven't seen her since she left!