Thursday, January 28, 2010

My fellow Americans ...

I felt a twinge of guilt when I got home Wednesday night. All the online news sites were full of coverage of the State of the Union address. Millions of “serious” adults had, no doubt, devoted the evening to watching Obama’s speech.

I, on the other hand, did what I usually do. I went and played in the woods on a fat bike. Didn’t give the big speech a second thought, really.

It’s not that I don’t care. I just don’t need the dog-and-pony show of a constitutionally mandated annual address to know the state of the union—it’s fucked up. And I didn’t need to hear the Big Man say anything to feel reassured that we’re in better hands than we were for eight years. I still think he’ll steer us onto the right course. But I have my own course to steer.

The stuffed suits in D.C. can have the State of the Union address. I can read about it in the New York Times.

I felt it was my duty to confirm the State of Blue Dot. And I slept better knowing what a fine state that is.

4 comments:

Bruther said...

Could not agree more as to the lack of substance and meaning of a State of the Union Address - someone there needs to become reacquainted with real life.

61 Degrees North said...

Until Woodrow Wilson, the State of the Union address was only delivered as a written report by the President. A congressional page read the report into the Congressional record. Incidentally, Carter delivered his address this way in 1981.

Maybe we should go back to that and skip the dog and pony show.

Joboo said...

I don't have time for smoke to be blown up my ass, which is exactly what I read he did.
Glad I went to bed before it started.
Work at 5 a.m.
Get up at 3:30 for a before work ride to have the cold air blown up my ass with just me and the Pug.
Now that's the good stuff!!!! Lol

Peace,
Joboo

MELI. said...

rad! love the pic too :D