Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Think about it

16 million: Population of the Netherlands
16 million: Number of bicycles owned in the Netherlands
30: Percentage of all road trips taken by bike in the Netherlands
1: Percentage of all road trips taken by bike in the United States
10: Percentage of Dutch population considered obese
31: Percentage of U.S. population considered obese
6.3: Annual highway deaths per 100,000 population in the Netherlands
15: Annual highway deaths per 100,000 population in the U.S.
1/20th: Urban space taken up by one bicycle compared to one car
1/2,500th: Cost of an urban bike bath compared to an urban freeway
Free: Cost to park a bike at the Delft train station near Amsterdam

As I arrived at my office building this morning in a 14-degree fog, a friendly guy from the second floor was taking his usual break outside. "I don't know who's crazier," he said. "You for riding your bike this morning or me for standing out here freezing my ass off to smoke a cigarette."

I pointed at him and said, "You win."

Source of statistics: "Dutch cyclists laugh at gas hikes" by Susan Taylor Martin of the St. Petersburg Times, printed 10/29/05 in the Anchorage Daily News

2 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

I think your obesity number is off. I had heard that close to 2/3 of all Americans are overweight.

I don't help matters much.

Anonymous said...

Yeah,
and none of them where helmets either and they have less head injuries from cycling than england. I guess when you do something everyday from the time you can walk, it ceases to be a dangerous activity.