Sunday, March 25, 2007

A post about, uh ... oh shit, I forgot

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I might be in the early stages of dementia.

I'm developing the annoying habit of futzing around with one thing or another until I leave the house too late and always show up five minutes late when I'm meeting friends for rides. If I manage to meet them, that is.

Last week, I showed up at the wrong lake for the start of a Frigid Bits race. Today, I showed up at a trailhead a mile away from the one where the group ride was supposed to start.

It could be worse, I guess.

Near the end of today's ride, some guy stopped to chat with a rider that he recognized in our group. He and my friend spent a couple of minutes catching up before the stranger pedaled away and I said, "Who was that?"

My friend just smiled and replied, "I have no idea."

Maybe I'm OK after all.

For now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

I hadn't visited your blog in a while, so it was nice to look back at the waning winters events that you've chronicled. Looking at with a fresh feeling, after completing my intended 40 miles today, really made me realize that, I believe, we are as a community doing something quite unique. Not just the Frigid Bit-ers, but the biking community as a whole. I doubt that there is any other place that the local bikers can and do thoroughly the winter months as we do.

In my riding this weekend, that literally took me through 90 miles of roads and trails in Anchorage, there were bike tracks aplenty everywhere I trekked. I ran into a lot of friends too. Seeing you, Maura and Carlos made my day complete. Thanks for being there! It was great to finally see your Pugsley after reading about it for a while now.

Anonymous said...

Tim,
I forgot to add my name (Grill Meister) in the comment just sent.

The Donut Guy said...

No worries Tim, you aren't the only middle aged guy out there like that.

Ever walk into a room and forget what you were there for?

Tim said...

Well put, Mr. Grillmeister. I couldn't agree more!

And George, I've been walking into rooms and forgetting why I'm there for so long, I don't even count it as a sign of dementia anymore. :)

Luke said...

Early stages?!

The Old Bag said...

love the post...I do the same.