Sunday, January 22, 2006

In deep


I was poking around in iPhoto a couple of days ago and found this shot of my Epic from last fall. I had altered the image a bit and then left it unused. Finding a shot like this on your laptop when the weather forecast has bright-red, all-caps "SNOW ADVISORY" warnings can be a bittersweet thing. It dredges up happy memories but serves as an ugly reminder that we're in the depths of winter and sweet singletrack rides are a long way off, at least for those of us who don't have plane tickets to someplace warm this winter.

I miss the feeling of knobs on dirt. I miss rocks bouncing off my shins. I miss tan lines on my quads and white feet below dirt-stained legs before I get in the shower. Riding on ice is OK but it's just filler. Sure, it's mosquito-free filler, but it's still just something to keep us all sane until the dirt is once again warm and dry.

I just wanna ride my bike and not be hassled by The Man. Maybe I should take a winter trip Down Under for the Body Art Ride (maybe NSFW). On second thought, maybe not. I don't want to risk all-over road rash even if it is for charity.

Dang, Feb. 12 is shaping up to be a busy day. It's not only the day of the Body Art Ride, it's Darwin Day. And remember, Darwin has a posse. Print yerself some stickers and spread the word.

Hmm. For some reason, even though I never eat the stuff, I'm suddenly craving yogurt.

I've added a new link to my list of bike blogs. I recently learned about Chain Driven, written by a fellow Alaskan who likes bikes and cocktails. Can't argue with that. She's also setting up a new Santa Cruz Juliana. Sweet.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, I made your BLOG, I'm feeling kinda special right now...

Thanks!

Tim said...

Always glad to link to Alaska girls who luv dirt.

MerJa Media said...

Thanks for the mention Tim, it's nearly Sydney Body Art Ride time again, when are you going to get down here?

Regards

Jake