Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Growing older but not up

A few days ago, I filled out a questionnaire that was distributed to members of my high-school graduating class. It has been 25 years since most of us went our separate ways, and this is a way for people to catch up with one another’s activities.

It also provides an opportunity for people to boast about brilliant children, wildly successful careers and ambitious goals.

When asked about my goals for the next few years, I wrote, “I still want to learn to ride a wheelie.”

Am I lazy?

Or just satisfied?

Maybe a little bit of both.

After all, I did take the lazy approach on that answer. It would have taken too long to list all the places I’d like to ride my bike in the next 10 years, so I just listed one goal and called it good.

Or maybe I’m just defective in some male-chromosome way. Watching sports on TV bores me, and I’d rather slash my wrists than take up golf. Men in their 40s are supposed to love that shit.

No thanks.

I’ll stick with nice bikes and funny shorts.

3 comments:

Frostbike said...

You must not have the wheelie gene. Don't feel bad, I don't have it either.

The Donut Guy said...

Dig it.

Buy an old English three speed.

I used to have one of those and I could wheelie it for hours.

Not sure why, but it must have been the way the bike was balanced.

rickyd 2 said...

Awesome. If I ever get one of those High School questionnaires, I'll have to steal that response.

I'm with you on the golf.