Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Poetry in motion

I sometimes refer to myself as The Dumbass Behind Bicycles and Icicles. You might think that's because I'm a humble guy with a self-deprecating sense of humor.

You'd be wrong.

Sunday afternoon I went for a trail ride with Carlos, Shelby and Steve. That's Steve ridin' Rover's Run in today's photo.

I felt good. I felt strong. I felt like bein' a nice guy. Even toward Nordic skiers. So when I had to cross a set of classical tracks, I thought I'd do a little bunny hop instead of cutting a tread mark across 'em.

After leaping off your platform pedals is the wrong time to remember that your Egg Beaters are sitting on the workbench at home.

Oh, yeah. I'm the Mikhail Baryshnikov of mountain biking, baby. Pure grace.

But there’s an up side to being bad at bunny hopping a mountain bike—I don't get very high when I try it without being clipped in. I managed to land on the pedals instead of making a snow angel the hard way.

We were riding trails and checking out the route for the new race Carlos has planned for this Saturday night. With a few details still to be announced, what we’ll basically do is start from Goose Lake, ride through the university area, pick up the Tour of Anchorage Trail to Viewpoint and Rover’s Run, ride north on Gasline to the Hilltop ski chalet, and then turn around and go back to the lake.

After that, it’s time for beer and pizza, yo. Clear your calendar.

No comments: