Thursday, May 23, 2013

Patina

I think it was about the time my hair on my head fell out and my beard turned gray that I started appreciating things that are well-worn, but not worn out. Funny how that distinction suddenly became important. 

But I love old stuff that still works. I can be fiercely loyal to a good piece of gear, sometimes even using it past the point at which it should have been tossed in a trash bin. I’ve been accused of being cheap – and maybe I am – but I enjoy the patina of hard use. I also feel good about using stuff for a long time instead of being quick to dispose of it. Call me a greenie. I hate waste. 

A couple of weeks ago, the zipper pulls finally snapped off the old neoprene shoe covers that I use in the fall and spring. I fixed one by attaching a zip-tie to pull the zipper up and down. The other zipper was so trashed that I resorted to operating it with pliers. I’ve been keeping a multi-tool at my office so I can take off my flippin’ shoe when I get to work. 

There’s something that’s just wrong about that. And something that’s just right.

3 comments:

Leo said...

you greenie

WheelDancer said...

If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Debbie said...

This mentality was one of the first things I fell in love with in Alaska. People are more practical and fix things rather than just throw them out. I wish we were a less disposable society...stopping short of hoarding, of course.