Sunday, October 08, 2006

Back from the edge of Earth

Steam rises from Shishaldin Volcano
at sunset Friday.


After several days on a ship in the wet,
windy Aleutians, I still feel
the floor moving, even though it's not.

I'm stealing glances at my bikes
while catching up on chores. Laundry, bills,
errands and unpacking
are a lot less fun than riding.

On the bright side, we docked in Dutch Harbor
on time yesterday and I boarded a plane
that slipped out of town during a tiny window
of less-shitty-than-it-could-have-been weather,
so a couple of people in my office are sure
to have lost bets on how long
I'd be trapped out there.

Don't forget to stop at the ATM, Luke.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Look, just 'cause you're sore you didn't get to hang out in beautiful downtown Dutch Harbor...there's no reason to be so angry.

And you know where I work...you know I have nothing to get out of the ATM.