Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Tryin' to Reason With the Shitty Season


I’m back, bitches. And less than thrilled about it.

I don’t mind the occasional bike-free vacation. Really, I don’t. But for shit’s sake, it ought to be illegal for riding conditions to go tits-up right before a bike junkie gets home after 12 days without turning a pedal.

While I was eating and drinking my way across Maui—and hobbling around after my encounter with a nasty kiawe thorn—Anchorage was hit with warm chinook winds that devoured our snow and left everything covered in glare ice.

I had to break out the studded commuter bike to get to work this morning. And if you think the first day of work after a vacation sucks, try starting it by dragging your mai tai-fattened ass to the office on a singlespeed you haven’t touched for two months. Not a cheery way to start a dark morning.

Yeah, I’m burning up a little on re-entry. I think it’s a good sign, though, that I checked out a Maui webcam only once while waiting for the sun to rise over the Chugach Range about 11 o’clock this morning.

Now I’m just hoping the sun will disappear for a day or so. We need snow. And I need some Pugsley time before my gut gets any bigger.

6 comments:

Vito said...

Welcome back!

The Old Bag said...

nearly 30" of snow had fallen here, and last week the rain and 40 degrees hit it...we've got a nice variety of crusty slop.

Anonymous said...

Last time I was in Maui, I rented a bike instead of a car. It cost the same, but it was a hoot to be riding at 80 degrees instead of -20. I know. That doesn't help you one bit and I totally suck for mentioning it.

Tim said...

Indeed you do, Ti. Thanks for rubbing it in, dammit!

Actually, I briefly considered taking my road bike, but when traveling with a non-cycling spouse, it's sometimes better to sacrifice a week or two of riding. One occasionally has to rebuild a small store of domestic credits to be used at a later time.

Darcy said...

At least you're back Tim. Heard today of a man who was in Hawaii, took a fall on his bike, broke his hip, had surgery there, got an infection and is still not out of the hospital. What is it with Hawaii and infections I wonder?

bikegirl said...

I'm ignoring every word on this post. That photo is stunning!
Welcome back.
Let's go ride some ice.